What is this product?
Haloperidol Tablet is used in the treatment of schizophrenia (a mental disorder in which a person develops unreal thoughts and behavior). It works by blocking the action of a chemical messenger in the brain that affects thoughts and mood.
Haloperidol Tablet can also be used for treating psychosis, mania, severe behavior problems in adults and children. It may be taken with or without food, preferably at the same time each day. Take it at the same time each day as this helps to maintain a consistent level of medicine in the body. Take this medicine in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor and if you have missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember it. Do not skip any doses and finish the full course of treatment even if you feel better. This medication mustn't be stopped suddenly without talking to your doctor as it may worsen your symptoms.
The most common side effects of this medicine include Agitation, insomnia, Extrapyramidal symptoms, muscle spasm, and headache. If any of these side effects bother you or get worse, let your doctor know. They may be able to suggest ways to reduce or prevent the side effects.
Before taking it, inform your doctor if you are suffering from thyroid or kidney problems, epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, glaucoma, or any heart problems. You should not take this medicine if you are under the influence of alcohol or any sleep-inducing, cough, and/ or allergy medication. This medicine can also lead to weight gain, eat a healthy balanced diet, avoid snacking with high-calorie food, and exercise regularly.
BENEFITS OF Haloperidol TABLET
Schizophrenia is a mental disorder in which a person’s thinking ability, feelings and behavior become abnormal. Haloperidol 5mg Tablet helps restore the chemical imbalances in the brain that are responsible for such changes. It improves thoughts, behavior and enhances the quality of life. It needs to be taken regularly to work effectively. Do not stop taking it unless your doctor advises you to.
SIDE EFFECTS OF Haloperidol TABLET
Most side effects do not require any medical attention and disappear as your body adjusts to the medicine. Consult your doctor if they persist or if you’re worried about them
Common side effects of Haloperidol
- Extrapyramidal symptoms
- Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping)
- Muscle spasm
HOW TO USE Haloperidol TABLET
Take this medicine in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor. Swallow it as a whole. Do not chew, crush or break it. Haloperidol 5mg Tablet may be taken with or without food, but it is better to take it at a fixed time.
HOW Haloperidol TABLET WORKS
Haloperidol 5mg Tablet is a typical antipsychotic. It works by blocking the action of dopamine, a chemical messenger in the brain that affects thoughts and mood.
- Haloperidol Tablet may cause excessive drowsiness with alcohol.
- Haloperidol Tablet may be unsafe to use during pregnancy. Although there are limited studies in humans, animal studies have shown harmful effects on the developing baby. Your doctor will weigh the benefits and any potential risks before prescribing it to you. Please consult your doctor.
- Haloperidol Tablet is probably unsafe to use during breastfeeding. Limited human data suggests that the drug may pass into the breastmilk and harm the baby.
- If Haloperidol Tablet is used, monitor the baby for excessive sleepiness.
- Haloperidol Tablet may decrease alertness, affect your vision or make you feel sleepy and dizzy. Do not drive if these symptoms occur.
- Haloperidol Tablet is safe to use in patients with kidney disease. No dose adjustment of Haloperidol Tablet is recommended. However, patients with severe kidney disease may need to be started at a lower dose as it may cause excessive sleepiness in these patients.
- Haloperidol Tablet should be used with caution in patients with liver disease. Dose adjustment of Haloperidol Tablet may be needed. Please consult your doctor.